I tried this recipe last night and while I'm not really one for bacon, my hunny most definitely is and loved this dish. It looks complicated, but actually doesn't take that long and is oh so delicious!
Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Breast
Serves: 2 - 4
Time: 35 minutes
- 400g mushrooms, sliced (14 oz)
- 20g butter (1.5 tbsp)
- 10ml lemon juice (1 tbsp)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 24 strips of bacon (I used lean)
- 200g mozzarella, cubed (about 3/4 cup)
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F.
2. Saute the mushrooms in butter until soft and juices have reduced. Season with a little salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
3. Place chicken breasts on a flat surface and cover (e.g. with a gallon plastic baggy) and bash until they are about 1/4in thick (I used an empty wine bottle).
4. On another flat surface or cutting board lay out bacon strips so that they are touching one another and are as wide as the chicken breast. Place breast on top of bacon. Spread cheese and mushrooms evenly across chicken.
5. Roll into a cylinder or wrap making sure that the bacon stays in place and wraps all the way around the breast. Place into an oven safe dish and then repeat with the remaining three breasts.
6. Place the dish into the oven and then cook for about 25 minutes at 350 F. Then, for an additional five minutes, turn the oven on grill to give the bacon some color.
And there you have it... simple as pie :) I was worried that the bacon wouldn't want to stick to the chicken, etc, but it actually does quite easily and I didn't need to use toothpicks or anything to hold the wraps together.
Note: I got this recipe out of a small South African cooking magazine called Avocado. Unfortunately they don't have a website, but if you are ever in the area you should pick up a copy ;)